the babe, the boy, and me....

...a running commentary on my life in general. Who knows what I will write about on any given day? It could be about the kids (The Boy, age 3 or The Babe, age 5), it could be about my husband, or it could be about (gasp!) me, and what I am thinking/feeling/doing. After all, it is "all about erika". I am not sure how entertaining this might be to anyone who isn't me. You've been warned.

Friday, August 18, 2006

guilt

One of my oldest friends is hosting a "Girl's Weekend" at her summer cottage about 2 hours away. When I got the invite, I knew I wanted to go. I love my kids, I love my husband, but I need to get away with the girls.

"The Girls" consists of a group of us, I'd say 10-15 of us, depending who can make it, who have been friends since at least college years, some even since high school. Some are married with children, like me. Some are married but no kids, and some are still living the single life. We're a diverse group, and we always have a good time. So, yeah, I am itching to get away on this girl weekend. I've been excited about it since the dates were announced.

The planning that goes into me getting away can be a little overwhelming. I'll have to leave a good amount of instruction for my husband (and a separate set for the kids, LOL). We don't have a second car right now, so I need to catch a ride with a friend. We're leaving Friday afternoon, which should be fine, but I need to be home no later than 10:00 am on Sunday morning so my husband can get to work. So, even though I totally deserve this little weekend away, I'm already feeling guilty.

I feel guilty about leaving my husband with the kids all weekend. I feel guilty leaving the kids with just my husband. I feel like I will miss something, and they will miss me, and oh, how selfish of me to want to get away for less than 48 hours! I know it's ridiculous, and it certainly isn't going to stop me from going, but there it is. The Mommy Guilt. Every mother has it.

So today, we get a letter from The Babe's preschool announcing which classroom she is in and giving details on the fall schedule. The day I leave for my guilt-ridden, selfish mommy weekend away with the girls is the First Day of School. As if I didn't already feel bad enough.

*sigh* Repeat after me: "I deserve to get away, I deserve to get away, I deserve to get away". Maybe I'll actually believe it myself if I say it enough times.

2 Comments:

Blogger sp1ral said...

You deserve to get away. Have fun!

10:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH HELL YEA YOU DO. We all do!
:-)

Jealous - sounds fun!

6:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home