the babe, the boy, and me....

...a running commentary on my life in general. Who knows what I will write about on any given day? It could be about the kids (The Boy, age 3 or The Babe, age 5), it could be about my husband, or it could be about (gasp!) me, and what I am thinking/feeling/doing. After all, it is "all about erika". I am not sure how entertaining this might be to anyone who isn't me. You've been warned.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

for my uncle

My Uncle Gale passed away last night. He was diagnosed with liver cancer about a month ago, and while preparing him for chemo, they discovered that his cancer was much to far along and that there was nothing they could do for him. He died peacefully, at home, with his wife of almost 50 years by his side. I wrote him a letter on 13 November after I had processed the news of his illness, and I am going to post that letter below. My Uncle Gale was a really wonderful person.
************************************
Dear Uncle Gale,

Do you remember how you used to tell me to be careful of the "boogeyman" that lived on your back patio? You would tell me I had to be careful that the boogeyman didn't get me. I remember I was old enough to know you were joking, and young enough to still half believe you. I remember spending so much time in your pool that the skin on my feet got so ripped up I had to wear socks in the water. I remember you letting me watch as you carefully mixed the chlorine and chemicals needed to keep the pool clean. I remember that part was fun to watch, but it was so disappointing that I couldn't just dive right into the water when you were done. Speaking of which, I learned how to dive off of your diving board. I remember being in awe of how much work you put into keeping that little patch of grass healthy for Sherie. I remember thinking it was so sweet that you did that so she'd have a place to go. The summer days I spent in Arizona are among my fondest memories, and I wanted to be sure you knew that. I need you to know how much those times mean to me, and I wanted to say thanks.

You have touched my life. Being your niece and goddaughter has been very special. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Aunt Dee, as well as Scott, Jill, and their families.

All my love,
Erika

2 Comments:

Blogger CrunchyCon said...

((HUGS))

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Erika. (((hugs)))

6:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home