the babe, the boy, and me....

...a running commentary on my life in general. Who knows what I will write about on any given day? It could be about the kids (The Boy, age 3 or The Babe, age 5), it could be about my husband, or it could be about (gasp!) me, and what I am thinking/feeling/doing. After all, it is "all about erika". I am not sure how entertaining this might be to anyone who isn't me. You've been warned.

Saturday, December 09, 2006

sleepover

The Babe had a friend, Q, sleep over last night. This was the first time we hosted a sleepover. It was very spontaneous, which is probably good. Had it been planned, I'm betting I would have lost sleep ahead of time trying to think of things for 2 little girls to do that would make a special night.

Our neighbor had 3 wisdom teeth pulled yesterday, and she asked if we could bring her daughter, Q, home from school with us. The plan was that they would pick Q up in time for dinner. Well, dinner time came and no word from our neighbors... so of course we fed The Babe and her friend. When we did hear from our neighbors, the word we got was that Momma Neighbor was really feeling the loss of those teeth. I immediately offered to have Q spend the night. I did it without thinking, really. I just said the words and then thought about what that might mean afterwards.

My husband works Friday nights, so he was out the door. I would have 3 kids all to myself, last minute on a Friday night. Also, I know from experience that no actual "bedtime" is adhered to when a sleepover is in play, so I had just abandoned all my plans for a quiet evening. Shoot. I kind of wish I had thought before I spoke.

Lucky for me, last night just happened to be the night that Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and Frosty the Snowman were on TV. Thank goodness for small favors. By the time those shows were done, the kids were getting tired. It was 9:15 before I had them all tucked in and sleepy... a full 2 hours later than the regular bedtime around these parts. None of my evening plans were accomplished, and to top it all off, this morning I was expected to make pancakes! Ha! I generally don't cook breakfast (here's your breakfast bar, Kiddo, now shut it, Mommy's not a morning person), but since we had a guest - well, I felt kind of obligated.

Q was picked up by 8:30 this morning, and we were off on our regular Saturday of taking The Babe to ballet while The Boy and I stop for a latte (which he said to me again, several times today).

I think it was a good sleep-over... I mean, at least they actually did sleep!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are a brave woman to do that when it's just you at home!

10:56 PM  
Blogger CrunchyCon said...

Brave, indeed!

7:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home